Monday 16 December 2013

Kiwi Brevet prep - Roadie rides


On this blog I report mostly about the fatbikes and offroad trips, but neglect to mention my other side...just like Tim Minchin, I can have a Dark Side too. Or a light, fluffy side. Or if you like, a creamy side, like the frothy top of a Chai Latte. Yep, you may have guessed - I shave and ride road bikes too...
 
But honestly, a blog post with blah blah about hill repeats, S & E efforts, power splits, HR% ratio, bracket exertion and A.C.E. zones is just not my style (I made up some of those terms just to try and make it interesting). The last road ride I posted was here.
 
The relevance of this post? With the Kiwi Brevet coming up, I thought I'd share with you an average training day on the roadie - the engine room where all the hard work gets done before work, after work, and weekends. Basically for the Kiwi, it's lots of hills, all day in the saddle, day after day. Condition your legs, your mind and your arse.
 
The route: climb up to Tamborine, down the Goat track to Canungra, climb to Upper Beechmont, descend to Advancetown, along the rollers on Nerang-Murwillumbah Rd, climb to Numinbah, cross the border, descend to Chillingham for a choc coated banana, TT through the canefields, climb Tomewin, descend to Currumbin, rat-run through backstreets to Burleigh, then TT along Bermuda St-Bundall Rd-Ferry Rd to Southport, Paradise Point/Hope Island/Coomera then home via M1 service rd.

The results: 261km, 3500m total ascent, 4297 calories. 4 water stops - Tamborine, Upper Beechmont school, Chillingham, Burleigh.
 
 
The bike: Cervelo RS, RED with Q-Rings. This will be the bike I'll ride Paris-Roubaix gran fondo in a few years - I'll be building up some special wheels for that ride. This pic is overlooking  Chillingham and Mt Warning NP, just before a thrilling 25% descent...
 

The highlights: I had 3 flats, no big deal. The last was a two for one deal - a nail through both sides of the tube, had to patch but due to the shape of the patch, was unable to effect a good seal. From Pimpama, had to re-inflate every 10 km or so - rimmed it home the last km. Found a wallet at Coomera - Hamish, dude I dropped the wallet in at Coomera copshop (I hope you didn't mind me taking that $485.00 cash out for a bite to eat :)

So it's not all about the (fat)bike. Sometimes skinny tyres have good adventures too...

No comments:

Post a Comment